Sunday, December 22, 2019

Belgian / Dutch Cards - What is the Difference?

I just finished sorting the cards from the Belgian set of Sportscaster cards.  Even though I don't have anywhere near the complete set, I did find a variation.  Two different cards are listed with the card number 33-773.



Both cards seem to be French athletes, so that doesn't help me at all.

Since Belgium has three official languages, which language is used on these cards?  It appears to be in Dutch.  So, what makes the Dutch cards different?  I haven't seen the country code on the back of any Dutch cards.  Can someone provide that number?

There are a few cards on ebay now, but I am guessing that their country code is the same as the one from Belgium.  I am inclined to believe that there is only one combined Dutch/Belgian set, but finding the two different cards with the same number makes me wonder if there are two different sets.

6 comments:

  1. For some country editions there is a second publisher from the country where the cards were published, in addition to Editions Rencontre. In Italy, for example, this is Rizzoli Marketing. For my cards in Dutch (code 0086/1030), it is Lombard Uitgaven. This publisher is based in Brussels, Belgium. So there is some evidence that it is the Belgian edition. Sportscaster Cards stay exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for passing along this information on these cards. Do all of the Dutch cards have the Lombard Uitgaven listed on the back of the card? Aren't the Belgian cards also 0086/1030 or is there a different number for them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good question! I purchased some Belgian cards from a seller, ungraded, and just compared them to my PSA graded Dutch cards. The country code on the bottom is the same on both, both say "Gedrukt in Belgie", and both say "Rencontre Utgaven N.V./LOMBARD N.V.". Unless the Belgian seller is mistaken, or PSA is (wouldn't be the first time), maybe there is only one set. Only other possibility I can think of is the Belgian card is in one of the Belgian languages and the Dutch card is in the Dutch language. I dont know how to tell them apart if that's the case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to be convinced that there is more than one of these sets. Previous sites mentioned that there is rumored to be a Dutch set. Why would it have the same country code as the Belgian set. I've been told that the Belgian set is written in Dutch since that is an official language of Belgium.

    I've asked a few sellers of "Dutch" cards some questions about the codes and I've yet to get a response. It makes me think that maybe they don't want it to be known that they are really the same set as the Belgian one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a rumored Danish/Denmark set, that I think we're confusing with the Dutch/Belgian set. However, I've never seen a Danish/Dennark card.

    ReplyDelete