Wednesday, December 26, 2018

My Only Other Sportscaster Promotional Card - The 1967 Green Bay Packers

I mentioned recently that I had a Hank Aaron numbered 993-06.  I also have the 1967 Green Bay Packers card numbered 993-07.

Here is the Packers card.


Unlike the Aaron card which had different text in the regular series, I would expect that this one wouldn't change since the story is all about the 1967 season.  I will check this out soon.  I checked out the regular card and it appears to be exactly the same as the promo card.



Are there cards 993-01 through 993-05?  Is Nadia Comaneci one of them?

Packer fans will be quick to note that there was no QB wearing number 10 on the team in 1967.  Bart Starr wore 15 and Zeke Bratkowski was #12.  How could they not find a picture of the 1967 guys?  Did they not want to pay for one?

So what's up with that picture?  My first thought was that the QB must be Lynn Dickey.  He played for the Packers from 1976 to 1985.

The running back is Erik Torkelson, a packer from 1974 to 1981.  #54 is center Larry McCarren, a Packer from 1973 to 1984.

The lineman in the backfield must be Gale Gillingham, who last played in 1976.  He was the last active member of Lombardi's teams.  So, the picture must be from 1976.  Gale grew up in Stoughton, WI which is near Madison.  I took my team to a cross country meet there a few years ago and my brother's in-laws are from that small town.

No comments:

Post a Comment