Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Sportscaster Series #01 Variations that I Have Found So Far. Please Pass Along Other Information That You Have

I found it!  After a long search of the house I finally found my notebook that documented my Sportscaster card checklist.  I won't computerize it until after I've gone through all of the set.

Sorting my thousands of Sportscaster cards is taking forever.  They don't sort as easily as baseball cards because these cards are so thin.  Having the numbers being really small doesn't help either.

For now I'm only looking at the set sold in the U.S.A., otherwise known as the American set or the North American set.

Here is what I found for the 24 cards in Series #1 so far.   It looks like the print run can be either 'A' or blank where there is no letter in bold.  For the blank print run I'm finding then printed in either Japan or Italy.  So I'm working on getting all there versions for Series #1.

I have every card from print run 'A' and every card from the blank print run printed in Japan.  Here are the back variations I've seen.  I have yet to check for variations on the front of the cards.

1-01 Roger de Coster - 'A' has updated awards
1-02 Bobby Orr - 'A' has different sub-title and text, less awards
1-03 Muhammad Ali - 'A' has different text and updated awards
1-04 Jesse Owens
1-05 Guy Drut
1-06 Faina Melnik
1-07 Mark Spitz -  'A' has re-worded text in the records
1-08 Michael Rousseau
1-09 Fanny Blankers-Koen
1-10 Bernard Thevenet - 'A' has updated awards and text
1-11 Michel Broillet - 'A' has more text
1-12 Nordic Skiing (person pictured?)
1-13 Fishing (person pictured?)
1-14 Frank Shorter  - 'A' has switched to the outdoor sport icon; " " has indoor & outdoor icon
1-15 Johnny Unitas
1-16 Anton Geesnik - 'A' has different text????
1-17 Pele - 'A' has added text
1-18 Jimmy Connors
1-19 Fencing  'A' has different title - front and back
1-20 Jets vs. Colts - 'A' and ' ' Italy have a different caption than ' ' Japan
1-21 Tom Seaver - 'A' has updated records
1-22 Lasse Viren - 'A' has switched to the outdoor sport icon; " " has indoor & outdoor icon
1-23 Alberto Juantorena - 'A' has updated records
1-24 Pete Maravich - 'A' has updated records

Please let me know if you have seen other variations.  I'm sure I will find out who is in the Jets/Colts picture once I put in an effort.


4 comments:

  1. I may be mistaken, but I believe I have some "B" print run cards for deck one (I think you're calling them "series" instead of deck). I've heard there are print runs as high as "D". My biggest problem is finding out which cards have which print runs...which were printed in Japan as opposed to Italy...which ones list Geneva instead of Laucerne...and whether or not all different combinations of these variations are possible (also wondering about the year listed on each).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My immediate goal is to get every card in any variation of the USA set...then every variation of the USA set...then every variation of the UK set (since I can read it)...then an example of every subject/card that exists in the other international sets, but not the USA set. My main collecting focus is Olympic cards that also happens to include your preference of running/track cards. Maybe we can compare notes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am working on things in the same way that you are. I'm moving slowly with sorting these cards compared to baseball cards. It is so slow and they take up so much more room. I will keep posting what I've found for each set/pack/series/deck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am working on things in the same way that you are. I'm moving slowly with sorting these cards compared to baseball cards. It is so slow and they take up so much more room. I will keep posting what I've found for each set/pack/series/deck.

    ReplyDelete