Saturday, November 30, 2019

Sportscaster Card from Japan - Nadia Comaneci in Deck 10

I read that the North American version of Sportscaster cards were printed in Italy and Japan for the first seven series (decks) only.  My cards follow that pattern except for one.  I have a Nadia Comaneci (10-03) from Italy and Japan.   The ones from Japan are from the blank print run.

I've been trying to only focus on back variations so far but for this card I need to consider the front as well.

Here is what I have.  Can anyone provide more information on this?

I have two versions from the blank print run.  One is from Japan and one is from Italy.  Both have an icon on the front that lists gymnastics as an indoor and outdoor sport.   FYI - I didn't know what that icon meant until I looked it up today.




I have two different versions of the print run 'A' card.  Both are from Italy.  There are updated statistics from 1977.



These cards only differ on the front.  Notice that the icons to the left of the gymnastic icon have changed.  The top icon designates gymnastics as being an indoor sport.  The lower one listed it as indoor and outdoor.  



Even if the Japanese printing of this card is a promo card or something I find it odd that the print run 'A' card has variations on the front.  Will there be others within a print run that have changes?  Does anyone know more about this before I plow through all of my cards?

UPDATE - I forgot that I have a 'B' print run card too. 



This card has additional results from 1978 and 1979. 



The 'B' print run also has gymnastics listed as an indoor sport based on the icon on the front.  Do print runs 'C' or 'D' exist for series 10?



5 comments:

  1. Comaneci Japan is from the 3 card sample pack mailings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't the Comaneci in the sample pack mailing have the 993 number like Hank Aaron and the Green Bay Packers? Also, how did the Packers get into that sample pack?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, the three cards I got in it were all regularly numbered w/Japan printing. In addition to the Comaneci, it was Bench and Jets vs. Colts. I was the underbidder on the Comaneci/Aaron/Packers, so can't confirm if that one might have been a 993 Promo. Seller was jaycards2 on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why I see Johnny Bench, Jets vs. Colts and Comaneci cards a lot. The first two would normally appear with printings in Japan and Italy. I do only have 993 promos of Aaron and the Packers. Thanks for explaining how the Comaneci could have been printed in Japan. Where did this three-card pack originate and when?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometime after the commercial (with "As Seen on TV" on the outside of the envelope) during 1978 (with "Price Guaranteed until Dec 31, 1978" on the Gift Certificate card inside). The Gift Certificate inside of these sample packs is also the source of the Sportscaster medal/coin. It was the free gift to keep for signing up to preview a complete Sportscaster kit for 10 days.

    ReplyDelete